Saturday 16 April 2011

Music is what feelings sound like.

Music.
For some, it may not mean much - just a song to dance to - a song to sing to, but for others it's something entirely different.
I know that for myself, music is something I resort to when nothing goes right and when I feel the worst has happened. Lyrics are the only thing I can relate to. I find it incredible that someone can combine lyrics and instruments to create a song that can mean so much to someone.
My love for music started in grade 6 when I began my obsession with Delta Goodrem. That's when I first began to understand the lyrics and meaning of a song. From there, my music taste changed and I got into bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte and Greenday. And then during a very shit duration of highschool, I got into more "emo" bands like The Used, My Chemical Romance, Story of the Year. It was then that I used music for comfort and it was basically how I expressed how I felt. From those bands, I got into more heavier music and started listening to bands like Bring Me The Horizon, Avenged Sevenfold, The Devil Wears Prada.
After this stage - my music taste shifted again and I started to listen to more alternative bands like Forever the Sickest Kids, All Time Low and Boys Like Girls.

It was around year 11 or 12 where all of this music combined and my music taste ranged from Heavy Metal to my favourite group - The Beatles.
It's quite insane to see how my music taste grew but I love the fact that I can now listen to practically anything.

I just want to share a few songs that will always be my one of favourites. You should definitely have a listen to them all.


The Beatles - A Day in the Life

Luke Pickett - And Asleep I Am Your Everything

Frank Sinatra - Strangers in the Night

Progress in Color - It's a Plague

Underoath - Writing on the Walls

Dance Gavin Dance - Lemon Meringue Tie

Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Follow You Into the Dark

This Providence - Chasing the Wind

Good Charlotte - We Believe


Hellogoodbye - Shimmy Shimmy Quarter Turn

McFly - Transylvania

Jacks Mannequin - The Mixed Tape

Something Corporate - Hurricane

The Scene Aesthetic - Beauty in the Breakdown

Trapt - Headstrong


These a just a few of so many songs that mean a lot to me.
I find that listening to these particular songs express a feeling which I can't even explain. It's that intro to a song or that one note that just makes you feel.

It's really hard to open up to a blog about your own experience to a song - because everyone experiences a song differently.

2 comments:

  1. This actually made me so upset, but happy at the same time. I guess thats what you call 'nostalgia'. Listening to Luke Pickett and The Scene Aesthetic has brought back some great memories. I'm so happy we're friends, Ariana. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's how I was feeling the entire time I wrote it and was youtubing the songs.
    That made me really happy, thank you Morgan. I love you.

    ReplyDelete